The 2018 Midterms are 11 days away, so we came up with this handy guide to empowerment at the polls:
Why do the midterm elections matter?
We'll let one our fave's, Sen. Kirstin Gillibrand, take this one:
"If you don't speak up, things aren't going to change.
If you don't become an advocate, it's not gonna change.
If you don't vote, it's not gonna change.
If you don't run, it's not gonna change."
What issues are on the table?
Federal, state, and local representatives are up for election. We recommend this guide from Vote411 and the League of Women Voters which allows you to build a ballot specific to where you live, and provides information about the specific issues you'll be facing in the voting booth. Learn about the structure of the midterms by visiting this USA.gov website.
Not sure where to go or how to get to the polls on Election Day?
- Election Day is Tuesday, November 6, 2018.
- Plan ahead to ensure you make time to vote in your schedule. Will you vote in the morning? After work? During lunch?
- Already know you can't make it to the polls on Election Day? Check to see if your state offers EARLY VOTING here, or register for an ABSENTEE BALLOT by visiting the website of your local election office here.
- Lyft and Uber will be offering free and discounted rides to the polls on Tuesday, November 6th. Uber will also offer a 'Get to the Polls Button' the day of the election to help voters quickly find their polling place. Go here to learn more about Lyft's election day services, and here to learn about Uber.
What can I do to empower others to vote?
- Forward this email to your friends and family so that they can learn about voter registration, early and absentee voting, and the important issues in their communities.
- Talk to your friends and family members to see if they need a ride to the polls. Can you car pool? Or share a Lyft or Uber ride?
- Offer childcare to people who otherwise may not have someone to watch their kids, so that they may go vote.
What should I wear?
Something that makes you feel AMAZING, connected to your community, and like the empowered change maker that you are. We put together the "Activist Wear" Stylepack just for this occasion! We also recommend the "Blue Wave" Vegan Suede Maxi Wire-Framed Headband. Purchase by Tuesday, October 30 to ensure delivery in time for Tuesday, November 6. Keep both for yourself (um, we would!) or gift one to a friend!
"Activist Wear" Style Pack
Featuring the "November" Midi Wire-Framed Headband and the "Rosie" Midi Wire-Framed Headband.
"Rosie" Midi or Mini Wire-Framed Headband
Channel feminist icon Rosie the Riveter in these bright red and white polka dot headbands.